Optional Practical Training for F-1 students
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is meant to give F-1 students practical experience in their major field of study, and students can apply for it either during their program of study or after graduation. OPT generally lasts up to 12 months.
Before you can participate in OPT, you'll need to get approval from US Citizenship and Immigration Services, which usually takes around 90-100 days, but processing times may vary. Students should plan ahead, attend a workshop in a timely manner, and apply as early as possible.
You do not need to have a job offer when you apply, but you are required to begin working on post-completion OPT within 90 days of the start date on your OPT EAD card in order to maintain valid F-1 status.
When classes are in session, OPT can only be part-time, up to 20 hours per week. It can be full-time during the summer and other breaks.
Post-completion OPT is full-time (more than 20 hours per week). You can work with multiple organizations, as long as each position is directly related to your major field of study and cumulatively add up to at least 20 hours per week.
If you are considering an unpaid internship or position, you may do so during the regular post-completion OPT period, but you should get written verification that your position does not violate any local, state, and federal labor laws from an HR representative at your organization. Financial compensation is not the only indicator of employment.
F-1 students must complete an OPT workshop prior to submitting an OPT request in ISSS Link. ISSS offers a new and improved pre-recorded online workshop that can be viewed at the student's convenience.
The link below will require you to log in using your Emory NetID before connecting you to the online OPT workshop which includes a series of videos. Once you have watched all five videos, login to ISSS Link to complete the OPT Request e-form which includes the OPT quiz.
In addition to the online workshop, ISSS offers a live, interactive session (held in-person or via Zoom) with an international student advisor where you may asks questions.
Important: To comply with social distancing guidelines resulting from COVID-19, ISSS will temporarily suspend in-person OPT workshops and offer all live sessions via Zoom. We hope to resume in-person workshops as soon as the situation improves.
To attend a live OPT workshop, sign up for one of the options below:
You can apply for OPT if:
- You currently hold F-1 status
- You have finished at least one academic year as a full-time student at a US institution
- You have not participated in full-time CPT for 12 months or more at your degree level
If you re-enter the US using a new SEVIS record after your previous record was terminated, you need to complete another academic year of full-time study before you can apply for OPT.
- Sign up for and participate in an OPT workshop.
- Fill out an I-765 form. ISSS step-by-step I-765 instructions >>>
- Complete the OPT Request e-form in ISSS Link, found under the F-1 Practical Training menu, which will require you to select pre-completion or post-completion OPT.
- The OPT Request consists of 2 e-forms. You will be required to complete the OPT Quiz e-form before proceeding to the final e-form, OPT Request.
- If you are requesting post-completion OPT, the e-form will ask you to provide the name and email of your academic advisor who will receive an automatic email directing them to ISSS Link to complete part two of the OPT request. Once the student and academic advisor portions of the e-form are submitted, your OPT request is considered complete.
- If you are requesting pre-completion your request is considered complete once your portion of the e-form is submitted.
- Receive an email from ISSS instructing you to pick up the OPT I-20 and ship your OPT application to USCIS. You will receive the email within five business days of ISSS receiving a complete request.
- Ship your OPT application to USCIS and confirm delivery.
- Wait for the OPT receipt notice and employment authorization document (EAD). If you used the ISSS mailing address on your I-765, we will let you know when your receipt notice and new employment authorization document (EAD) arrives. The receipt typically arrives within 3–4 weeks. Although processing times can vary widely, it typically takes USCIS 90 to 100 days to process your request. Plan accordingly!
If you will finish your dissertation mid-semester, you may want to apply for post-completion OPT before you officially graduate. If you are interested in this option, please discuss your plans with your ISSS advisor 3–4 months ahead of time.
The following is an abridged version of the OPT checklist. The ISSS OPT Application Document Checklist includes a detailed list.
- Original, typed I-765 form signed in blue pen. ISSS step-by-step I-765 instructions >>>
- Copies of all previously issued I-20s, including the new OPT I-20 and any I-20 issued by other another institution (if applicable)
- Copy of any previous EAD cards
- Copy of the ID page of your passport, plus any extension pages
- Copy of your current visa (if you have one)
- Copy of your most recent I-94
- OPT fee paid by personal check, cashier's checks, money order or credit card. For the most up to date fee amount, visit the USCIS website (NOTE: Biometrics fee is not required)
- 2 passport-style photos – photo requirements >>
- Form G-1145 (optional, but recommended)
During post-completion OPT, you'll need to report:
- Any change to your non-immigrant status within 10 days by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any change to your legal name within 10 days by emailing email@example.com
- Change of your address within 10 days by logging in to ISSS Link and filling out the “Update Current OPT Employer e-form”
- Change of employer or work address, including end of employment, within 10 days by logging in to ISSS Link and filling out the “Update Current OPT Employer e-form”
Students without a valid Emory NetID and password can access ISSS Link to meet their reporting requirements using Limited Services. For instructions on accessing ISSS Link using Limited Services>>>
STEM OPT extension
If you have a degree in a STEM field and you are currently in a period of post-completion OPT, you can apply for an extension. Learn more >>